30 Jul Beach Front Friendly Plants
The porous sandy soil and salt air can take a toll on your beach front landscape. Below is a list of some native and non-native species that survive in a sandy, ocean front environment. Click here to learn more about planting beach front friendly plants.
- American Holly – Ilex opaca
- Beach Plum – Prunus maritiniana
- Eastern Red Cedar – Juniperus virginiana
Native Woody Shrubs
- Blueberry – Vaccinum species
- Choke Cherry – Aronia species
- Coast Leucothoe – Leucothoe axillaris
- Common Bayberry – Myrica pensylvanica
- Rugosa Rose – Rosa rugosa
- Sheep Laurel – Kalmia angustifolia
- Swamp Shad Bush – Amelanchier canadensis
- Japanese Black Pine – Pinus thunbergi
- Norway Spruce – Picea abies
- Southern Magnolia – Magnolia grandiflora
- Sycamore Maple – Acer pseudoplantanus
- Baryberry – Myrica
- Cinquefoil – Potenilla
- Juniper – Juniperus
- Spirea – Spiracae
- Yew – Taxus
- Dwarf Marigold
- Sweet Potato Vine
- Blanket Flower
- Red Hot Poker
If you need further assistance in choosing beach front friendly plants for your landscape, give us a call – 609-641-0648. We have over 60 years of landscaping experience at the Jersey shore. We know what works and what doesn’t. We’ll be happy to assist you in choosing plants for your beach front property.
A list of New Jersey native pinelands plants can be found here. If you have property that is not next to or near the ocean front, some of these species may work in your landscape.
For more information on native plants contact The Pinelands Commission.